29 November 2011

Day 743 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

Today was another milestone day (for me, at least). After six months of working from home in early morning and scattered hour segments, going into the office in the evenings and weekends, and taking care of Grayson full-time, I am back in the office. The delightful Anishka took full charge of Grayson's daytime care today allowing me to pack up several large boxes of files and return to working a more normal schedule at my job.

Grayson seems to respond quite well to his new caregiver. She is sensitive, quite coachable and willing to learn. Brant and I are both encouraged that this may be a really good relationship for all of us.

Acknowledging all of the positives surrounding this new chapter, I must admit that an old, yet familiar pang gripped me as I drove to my office this morning. It felt similar to the first day of school – excited about new prospects, yet apprehensive that it is someone else who will be encouraging him through the daily growth steps. Knowing in my heart it is necessary for me to share his care with someone, yet feeling a little guilty that I was not there maximizing each hour with him.

Finding balance in our new life with Grayson is certainly the short and long term goal and this is a good move toward that. This will allow me not only to focus more productively on work but also to schedule medical and dental appointments for myself. When I return home in the late afternoon I will actually BE with Grayson and Brant, instead constantly checking emails, voicemails, and catching up on work-related tasks.

When I came in the door tonight, Grayson greeted me with a warm hug and rewarded my unfounded worries with some fairly clear speech. What a treat! In addition to that Brant had a terrific pork chop dinner ready (and another hug).

It's all good.

With gratitude,

Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment