22 August 2012

Day 1010 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

This evening I was fortunate to attend the grand opening of the new John McKay Center at USC. This spectacular center will provide state-of-the-art athletic training and academic facilities for the student-athletes of USC's 21 sports.

When I picked up Grayson from my sister and brother-in-law's home afterward, I told Grayson about my evening and where I had been. As usual, after telling him something I wait a few minutes and then ask him a couple of questions to test and stretch his memory. I asked him where I had been. He answered, "Pete's place". I wasn't sure I heard him correctly so I asked him again. "Pete's place." I laughed so hard. Pete Carroll was USC's head football coach during Grayson's years attending USC. Brant would jokingly refer to USC as "Pete's place" and Pete Carroll was still head coach when Grayson sustained his injury in 2009.

Grayson's answer used his short term memory in accurately recalling that I had spent the evening at USC. His long term memory, however, still thinks that Pete coaches football there. (Some of you may know that in early 2010 Lane Kiffin replaced Pete Carroll who now coaches the Seattle Seahawks.)

Grayson is still proud to be a Trojan – another thing that cannot be taken away from him.

FIGHT ON, Grayson.

Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment