30 November 2009

Day 15 - Grayson’s Condition

Dear family and friends

As of 11:30 AM Pacific Time today, we passed the two week mark since Grayson's cardiac episode. As a housekeeping item, I am changing the headline format in the blog to more accurately mark the passing of time.

Today was a disappointing day.

I keep being reminded of the roller coaster. Yesterday was up, today is down. There were no smiles from Grayson today. Now that he is off of the sedative, he has some level of consciousness, but appears to have little to no control over his muscles. I'm no expert in this area, but it appears that his brain commands one thing, and his body does something else. He then gets frustrated, and tries harder. The net effect is that this very strong, 240 pound young man is quite difficult to deal with when he becomes frustrated, angry and, I believe, scared. Add to that a questionable level of understanding of what is happening to him and a temporary short term memory of just minutes, and you have some idea what we are seeing him go through. Perhaps I am wrong, but it could be a glimpse of the uphill climb we have in front of us.

On a positive note, Grayson will have a tracheostomy tomorrow so that the breathing tube can be removed while leaving his airway protected. He will also have his feeding tube permanently placed so that it will no longer irritate his nose. Both of these should improve his comfort level and hopefully keep him calmer.

I realize that I am repeating myself when I say how much all of your notes of various technologies mean to us. From paper to electronic, we see them all, and they lift our spirits. All are heartfelt, loving and filled with God's spirit. Today I found that I went back to that well of good wishes to refresh a disappointed soul. While the tears came, I felt the warm embrace of the love from you, and from God. Thank you for giving us strength.

Pax!

Brant and Regina

5 comments:

  1. Dear Brant and Regina,
    We will continue to pray for Grayson's complete recovery and for God to wrap His loving arms around you and give you His perfect peace. One of my favorite bible passages is Isaiah 26:3-4: "The steadfast of mind Thou wilt keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in Thee. Trust in the LORD forever, for in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock."

    God bless you all,
    Suzanne Winn Babbitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brant, Regina, Grayson, Austin and Lauren,
    Hi Grayson and all. I’m sorry it’s taken so long to write, but it’s not an easy thing for me to do. I’m kind of talking to Grayson in this because I’m guessing that Brant has been reading all the kind and sympathetic comments that your many family and friends have been making over the last two weeks.
    Grayson, I cannot imagine of battle that you’ve been fighting over the last couple of weeks, but I do know that your strength of spirit and soul along with the loving support of your family and friends will help ease the struggle that you are going through. That strength and support will continue to aid you in the days ahead.
    All our best wishes and thoughts are there for you.
    Jim, Natalie, Meghan & Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brant and Regina:

    I read your updates with keen interest, having been the one in the bed, with all of the apparatus attached, and God working His will in me.

    The tracheostomy is a good thing I think...I am told that I didn't like the breathing tube, and calmed down once I had the tracheostomy. Weeks later I was able to speak using the Pasing Merror [sp?] valve, and then as I improved further, the trach was removed and I was on my own again.

    He was with me every minute. And we are with you all with our prayers and understanding, and will remain with you.

    In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family and Grayson are in our morning and evening prayers. We came to know and love Grayson though his years at Prep with AnnaMaria. In fact, I am on the road and carry a photo album with me of my family and I have 2 lovely photos of Grayson and AnnaMaria when they went to prom together. He was a darling boy who we have seen turn in to an amazing man and now a fighter.
    You both have always been so proud and happy of all your children and I can't imagine the pain you must be experiencing. We will continue to pray for victories and for strength on difficult days.
    Blessings,
    Debi Gutierrez

    ReplyDelete