20 November 2009

Day 5 - Grayson’s Condition


Dear family and friends

All things considered, I think that today was a good day – good for Grayson because I think that his recovery is continuing. It was also extremely difficult on his parents to watch him in such a state. Why the seemingly contradictory statements?

The recovery, in my limited medical knowledge, is linked to injured brain cells starting to work again. That is why I say it is good – recovery is continuing. It is difficult for us as parents to watch, because what we see is our 6 foot 2 inch, 240 pound, 24 year-old son fighting and flailing as those brain cells start sending random signals down the wire. It is frightening to watch, even though we are comforted by the knowledge that this is one sign of healing. It does make for a long day for the parents.

One other item of good news is his comfort – his breathing tube was removed this morning. That means that he is no longer sedated, can protect his airway, and that particularly irritating apparatus is now gone.

As I sit and watch Grayson, now calmly resting, he looks just like the young man I hugged and said goodbye to as I left for the airport Monday morning. I am SO glad that I told him that I loved him, and he said the same to me, along with a chipper, "See you Thursday, Dad." Plans have changed.

The family and I can't possibly thank all of you enough for the encouraging words, prayers, and offers of help. We really don't need much at the moment, but we appreciate the help we have received. I rest comfortably knowing that Grayson is in God's healing hands, and all your prayers don't let him forget it!

Pax!

Brant

4 comments:

  1. Brant and Regina, Please be most assured of the steadfast prayers of the Stifter Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all praying for Grayson's continued recovery! Thank you for keeping us updated. We love you!
    --Caila, Brian and Hudson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up this morning and quickly turned on my computer to get to this site and know how Grayson is doing. As I am reading Brent's update on his beloved son condition and crying, I'm glad my last night prayers were answered and he is feeling better. I saw Grayson walking on Chevy Chase Monday around noon, I believe, such a nice and good looking boy. We love you Regina and Brent and I realy hope you will soon be holding hands at your Thanksgiving table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brant and Regina,
    We will definitely be praying for a complete recovery for Grayson! May God bless all of you with His perfect peace during this difficult time.

    Love,
    Suzanne (Winn) and Jeff Babbitt

    ReplyDelete