28 February 2010

Day 104 – Grayson’s Condition

Today I attended my 40th high school reunion. For one reason or another I have missed each of the previous reunions – life just seemed to get in the way throughout the years. When I weighed the decision whether or not I should attend, I felt once again that I would have to pass up the opportunity. We so treasure our weekends with Grayson.

First, I let go of my guilt. After all, Brant and Lauren were going to be with Grayson and he would know he is loved by his family. Second, I realized that, with the weekend's storms, there was a good chance that the grapevine might be impassible and we don't have chains for the second car. Good excuses, right?

Lastly, I just let go and let God. I admit I was looking forward to seeing these classmates after 40 years but I was unprepared for how much it affected me. I walked into a room of 59-year old women and immediately felt surrounded by love. Word of Grayson's situation had already spread among them (thanks to Facebook), the years disappeared and we shared that unique wrinkle in time that you only experience a few times in life. The outpouring of love and prayers made me feel part of something larger than high school, larger than the common experience of parenthood. By no means was I the only one in the room whose life has taken a huge left turn. The room was filled with the challenges of parents, children, health, employment and faith. For one afternoon we felt we were all in this together. For one afternoon these were not just classmates from 40 years ago but we were sisters in life loving each other and praying for each other.

Tonight I drove up to rendezvous with Brant and Lauren and tomorrow morning we take Grayson to church with us. But he won't just be with us. We will have the whole communion of saints with us. I know that is how we have been able to walk so securely on this journey so far.

Thank you for walking it with us.

Regina

3 comments:

  1. I went to an all-girls boarding school for high school. I feel closer to those women than any other friends I have ever made in my life. Thanks to Facebook we can have daily contact even though we live all over the world now. I cherish our reunions every 5 years. I'm so glad that you went to your reunion and had such a wonderful, affirming experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so moved by this when I read it Sunday morning, that I grabbed a quote and added it as a sermon illustration so my congregation could be moved by it too. Here is is. http://pastorgentry.blogspot.com/2010/03/gathered-under-gods-wings.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regina, your beautiful writing always touches me, but this blog goes beyond. I felt I was there with you, and walking through the halls of life surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses - those saints you mentioned. What great company to be in!

    ReplyDelete