23 October 2011

Day 707 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends

Today was a special day. We started the day out watching about a bazillion people walk by our bay front room on a diabetes walk (as a diabetic I was thrilled to see so many turn out for a walk!) Then we watched dragon boat races on Mission Bay while drinking coffee on our patio. We had a lovely lunch al fresco before checking out and heading to the reason that brought us to San Diego this particular weekend – my God mother's 90th birthday celebration.

Floriene was one of my parents' closest friends – and certainly their longest running friendship before they passed. Floriene's kids, Mike and Kristi, were regulars at our house during school breaks (I am told because I was an infant!), and as I grew up I used to spend school breaks at Floriene's home. Until Floriene moved to San Diego, the Reeds (that would be Chet, Ellen and Brant) gathered at her home for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. As California transplants (Floriene was from Nebraska and my parents were from Oregon) there was no other local family, so we made our own extended family to spend the holidays with. I have many, many happy memories from those holidays. Other than my parents, Floriene was probably the most powerful influence on my early life.

Today we surprised Floriene by showing up at her party, as no RSVP was requested. I think that we shocked both Floriene and Kristi out of their socks when we showed up! We had a great time catching up and both Regina and I were amazed that Floriene has not aged a bit. She is just as sharp as she was 40 years ago. I can only hope that I age as gracefully. Here is a picture of the three of us with Floriene and Kristi this afternoon.

Happy birthday, Floriene. You are a great lady. I am privileged to know you and be a part of your extended family.

Pax!

Brant

2 comments:

  1. She sounds like a very special person and I'm sure your presence at her b-day was a most special gift! And wow she does not look anywhere near 90. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brant, I remember Thanksgiving 1967, when I was with your family at Floriene's house in Laguna Beach. And New Year's Eve, 1968, she and Link were at your house in Burbank and I was there, too. She is, indeed, a wonderful person and was very welcoming to me.

    ReplyDelete