25 February 2012

Day 832 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends

Today was another beautiful day in Mammoth. The sun was out but so was the wind this morning. I was kicking myself for not putting on more clothing for our early morning ski runs – especially early as passholders had the opportunity to hit the lifts at 7:30 this morning. It was just starting to warm up when Richard and I headed back to the condo at 10:45.

Grayson had another great day at Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra (DSES) today. We had the awesome good fortune to get Zachery again as an instructor – and as always he was amazing with Grayson. We did runs today that I wound never in my wildest dreams believe that Grayson would ever again tackle – but today he did, albeit with a lot of coaching and encouragement. It was exciting and amazing to watch on one hand. On the other, I know that he will have to relearn many of the lessons he learned today because his short term memory is so damaged. I chose to live in the place of amazement and wonder because Grayson did some amazing things and that he enjoyed himself.

Today at one point we had to pair up to ride a 2 person lift. Zachery asked me if I wanted to ride with Grayson and I said to let Grayson decide. Grayson chose Zachery then gave him a big hug. That touched me and says a lot about the bond between student and instructor at DSES.

Pax!

Brant

No comments:

Post a Comment