27 February 2012

Day 834 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends,

Let me share a scene from late tonight. While I was doing laundry and ironing, Grayson watched TV in our bedroom and laughed himself silly during "America's Funniest Videos". He was bright-eyed and fun all evening.

When I suggested it was time to brush his teeth, Grayson got up from his chair and walked down the hall toward his bedroom. He hesitated at the end of the hall as if he couldn't decide whether to go straight ahead into his room or turn right into his bathroom. I asked him what he was going to do. He pointed to his teeth and walked into the bathroom.

There are so many pieces to this simple scene that are encouraging to me. First, that he got up from his chair and walked down the hall merely as a result of the suggestion that it was time to brush his teeth. Grayson is always cooperative and it is easy to get compliance with one step commands. Usually, however, I have to ask him to stand up and then lead or invite him to walk down the hall. This time I said nothing else to remind him of the next steps. Then, he remembered where he was going – to brush his teeth. In most cases by the time he gets to the next room, he forgets why he is there and immediately picks up a book in that room. Tonight when he faced the confusion of two darkened rooms at the end of the hall, all I had to do was ask him what he was going to do and he was able remember, respond "teeth", and pick the correct room.

Granted he didn't turn on the lights nor did he pick up his toothbrush but we take every tiny step of improvement we can get.

Day by day, step by step, repetition by repetition – tiny, invisible improvements are made.

A grateful mom says good night to you all.

Regina

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you're thinking things like 'Rome wasn't built in a day', and I'm glad you have encouraging milestones along the way, even if they seem small.

    ReplyDelete