01 August 2011

Day 624 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends

Monday – back to work for Regina and I and a busy week on the horizon. Actually it is so busy for Regina that she spent most of the weekend at the office!

Life with a disabled young adult at your home is a continuous challenge – emotionally and practically. Grayson is a sweet and loving person that will gladly just sit and read a comic book or watch TV. The emotional challenge is that those are not strategies to help him to overcome his injury – they are not therapeutic. So the practical challenge is to take the time away from all of those other things that you need to do and spend time doing therapeutic activity.

Some therapeutic activity can be incorporated into everyday things. Tonight I asked Grayson to get me the extra virgin olive oil while I was preparing dinner. He handed me the canola oil, the peanut oil and the balsamic before finding the correct item. I asked him what each item was when he passed it to me. He realized that it was not the correct thing when he read the label out loud, then he went back for another bottle. It sure would have been faster and easier to just grab the darned thing myself, but I would have lost an opportunity.

And opportunity for therapy in whatever form it presents itself is a blessing that needs to be recognized and seized.

Pax!

Brant

No comments:

Post a Comment