31 August 2011

Day 654 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

Grayson woke up alert and happy this morning. He went through his morning routine with me answering my questions and smiling.

He was alert all day but seemed to lack the ability to follow through with the sequence of several daily routines. These are things we do many times a day. For example, in an effort to improve continence we take a restroom break every waking hour. This is a lot of repetition of these tasks from opening the toilet clear through washing and drying his hands. Over the course of the past year that he has been living at home with us – well, you can do the math as to how many repetitions that has been. Today he just couldn't execute all of the steps without significant cueing. During the last couple of hours before I put him to bed, he finally was able to get through most of the routine on his own.

Today was the kind of day where patience was of utmost importance. Today was the kind of day I just couldn't be in a hurry.

When my children were little I used to a particular prayer posted on my laundry room wall and it is, in fact, still one of my favorite bookmarks. I share it with all of you especially with those of you who have young children and for those of us whose children will always be young in some ways.


 

Parents Prayer by Mary L. Robbins

They are little only once LORD. Grant me the wisdom and patience to teach them to follow in your footsteps and prepare them for what is to come.

They are little only once LORD. Make me take the time to play pretend, to read or tell a story; to cuddle. Don't let me for one minute think anything is more important than the school play, the recital, the big game, fishing, or the quiet walk hand in hand. All too soon LORD they will grow away and there is no turning back. Let me have my memories with no regrets.

Please help me to be a good parent, LORD. When I must discipline, -- let me do it in love, let me be firm, but fair; let me correct and explain with patience.

They are growing away LORD. While I have the chance let me do my best for them. For the rest of our lives, please LORD, let me be their very best friend.


 

I wish you peace and patience,

Regina

2 comments:

  1. Regina, thanks for sharing that prayer. So, relevant no matter what the age or situation. Blessings and love, Steve and Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really touched me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete