10 August 2011

Day 633 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

Today I gained additional respect for full-time caregivers.

Let me say first that Grayson is a love to be with. I say that because I know many people who care for individuals that are unable to be affectionate or appreciative. This is not one of our challenges. That being said, the demands are constant from first thing in the morning until well into the evening (he is still awake in bed as I write). From showering, shaving, meal preparation, exercising, cognitive exercises, practical and social skills practice, extra laundry and floor cleaning to hourly restroom routines it is a full schedule. Balance that with working from home, going to the office late in the evening and on weekends and you get the picture. Oh, and the fact that Brant is travelling about two weeks a month again.

Please don't think that I am complaining. I am grateful that God is allowing us more time to love and care for Grayson.

My new level of respect for caregivers comes from an appreciation of how difficult it is to do all of this when you are ill or hurting yourself. The last two days, I have been struggling with a rib injury and find it difficult to bend, carry, twist, sit, lie, or breathe deeply without some level of pain. Debilitating – no, just frustrating and not very conducive to practicing patience.

I salute all of the caregivers of the world. Take care of yourselves.

Peace and rest to you this evening,

Regina

2 comments:

  1. I pray you have a quick recovery from your injury. The gas tank of patience is sorely tried when there are leaks from more than one spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Regina...there are times I read this blog at the end of my day and I smile because perhaps I too have had similiar thoughts and feelings during my caregiving day. We are human, not saints. We are just doing the best we can for our loved one. We get angry, we mourn, we take a backseat, we laugh, and we are blessed. We see the hand of God in the smallest of joys...and so we celebrate! Take care of your ribs, Regina...and take care of you and Brant!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete