11 September 2011

Day 665 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

We rousted Grayson early from bed this morning so that I could drive Brant to the airport for another week of business travel. I wondered how Grayson would do with less sleep. He did wonderfully.

During our church service he joined in with me on the responsive petitions and on several of the hymns. After the service, Grayson and I attended lunch and the first session of this year's confirmation class series with our Jr. High school members. At one point the pastor was outlining that the focus for the year's program would be on the scriptures which are, of course, made up of the New Testament and …. (he paused for response). Grayson's loud voice responded, "Old Testament". He was hanging on every word being spoken around him.

Twice today, Grayson stood up from his activity and when asked where he was going responded "to the restroom". This is very unusual for him. Perhaps it is an indication that he recognizes and is appropriately responding to the sensations we take so much for granted. Or it may merely be that the hourly behavior reinforcement of the restroom sequence is becoming a habit he can occasionally initiate. Either way, I'll take it.

Obviously he was mentally more alert today and on alert days he has a harder time falling asleep. It is 11:45 and I just put him back down for the third time.

I'm sure you've had days like that when you can't seem to shut off your thoughts. It must be especially hard for him. That's why we try to keep the nightly routine simple and regular. It is now 11:53 and he is down for the fourth time.

Peace and sweet dreams,

Regina

2 comments:

  1. Well actually it's now 12:45 a.m and I got up to look at the computer for a little while, because it's one of those days where I can't seem to shut off my thoughts and sleep..

    What an awesome day. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many positives in one day!

    ReplyDelete