14 September 2011

Day 668 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends,

Grayson was right back to being alert and more focused today.

Right from the moment I triggered his wakeup alarm and got him up I noticed he was "with it". As you may recall, I ring the alarm clock continuously until he gets himself to his feet. It only took about 25 seconds today. Much quicker than usual.

He was able to make breakfast selections and finished his liquids today with a minimum of coaxing.

Yesterday, I mentioned that he bites hard on his toothbrush while we are brushing his teeth. Today, I expressed my frustration by putting the toothbrush down, walking out of the bathroom and closing the door. I stood outside the door and in a few seconds Grayson opened the door and said "sorry". I was shocked by his response. Shocked that he could sort through the situation's dynamic but even more so by his initiating a verbal apology. The whole exchange served to remind me that in spite of his inability to control his actions or express himself verbally, he still has emotions that need to be respected and not taken for granted.

This evening we watched a television show that had the characters gathered together mourning the death of a respected co-worker. One of the characters started humming and then singing "Amazing Grace". I started to sing along and Grayson voluntarily started singing with me - on pitch - clear through the end of the first verse.

At his usual bedtime, Grayson stood up and started walking down the hall to his room. I asked where he was going and he responded "to bed". He went straight to sleep and hasn't gotten up once.

Truly a day that was amazing AND filled with grace.

Regina

1 comment:

  1. Truly, 'amazing'! Your posts are so fascinating and Grayson's progress compelling to watch. We keep praying.

    ReplyDelete