15 October 2012

Day 1065 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends
On Sunday I spent the Morning and early afternoon visiting my cousin Jasper and his family in Milton-Freewater, then went back out to the farm for one last visit with Imogene before starting the trek back. Suzanne and her family were still there so we all had some final visit time. My family is very close and I regret that we do not get to spend much time together. Distance does play a part!
About 3:00 PM I headed out and swung by the old berry stand for one final look. I don’t know when I will pass this way again! Since someone else is now farming the land, it has been returned to wheat fields, but the lonely berry stand remains. It is hard to believe that over 1000 kids worked there over the 50 summers the berry business was in operation. Many talked about it during the anniversary celebration last June. What they said was that they learned the value of work and commitment. Lasting values that stuck with many of these kids for the rest of their lives.
Leaving the berry stand behind, I started driving to Seattle – 288 miles and one rest stop. Not bad!
This morning I boarded a plane bound for home. When I arrived Grayson and Regina were waiting on the porch for me! The first thing I did, after big hugs from Regina and Grayson, was to put on shorts – it was in the 80s and I just came from the great north wet! Tonight we enjoyed each other’s company and caught up on many stories from my week away.
It was a great night and it is great to be home!
Pax!
Brant

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad for the 'God thing' that allowed you to be at the memorial service! It was wonderful to sit by you as we said good-bye to our special uncle. Love, Nibor (by the way, beware the Strawberry Rebellion)

    ReplyDelete