20 September 2012

Day 1040 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

Is it the heat? Is it the end of Grayson's cold? Is it the extra noise and chaos at home, or the start of a new cycle?

Whatever the combination of any or all of the above today was, it was a challenging day for both Grayson and his caregiver.

This afternoon I received a report that Grayson hit his caregiver during their afternoon walk. It appears he was incontinent during the walk and when she tried to get him to turn around to head back home he refused to walk. When she tried to encourage him to walk and pick up his pace, he struck out and hit her in the face and then in several times in the shoulder. Needless to say I spent some time with both of them this afternoon reinforcing proper behavior on Grayson's part and coaching defusing techniques with her.

On this evening's news broadcast there was a hidden camera expose of a couple of caregivers hitting and abusing a 24 year old young, autistic man. The lack of respect, impatience and cruelty displayed in that video as well as the confrontation during the afternoon walk, amplified my fear of what Grayson's care (and life) could be like after we are no longer able to care for him.

I know that I should not worry about tomorrow and that tomorrow will have worries of its own. All I can do today is prepare as best I can.

Oh, Lord – let it be enough.

Regina

1 comment:

  1. Oh Regina, what a day! There are mean people out there and I'm so glad you have a caregiver whom you can trust. I can only imagine the feelings Grayson must have had at that point - frustration, embarrassment, irritation, anger - and the few choices he knew how to make. Your fears are also to be expected... I'm praying you'll remember 2 Timothy 1:7- God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

    ReplyDelete