21 September 2012

Day 1041 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends
I’m back after another week in Seattle and will be home for two weeks before heading out again! Grayson was glad to see me and was quite cuddly all night.
The big news in town today was the fly-over of the Space Shuttle. It was quite a tribute to the town that built her. For roughly 3 hours, Endeavour flew over all of the facilities that were a part of her – Rocketdyne, Boeing, JPL – as well as a myriad of other locations in Southern California. What a thrill for those who were able to see it. (I was in Seattle until this evening.) Regina called to tell me of her excitement as it passed overhead in La Canada!
Back when I started my career 35 years ago in the industry, aerospace was the big employer in Southern California. No longer. The industry has shrunk, and much of what is left has departed for greener pastures - leaving the remaining industry here a shell of its former self. Today was a celebration of the pride that we all feel having been a key part of such a wonderful legacy. It was a lump-in-the-throat day!
Pax!
Brant

No comments:

Post a Comment