12 April 2010

Day 148 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends

When I called tonight, Grayson was at the nickel arcade with his residential assistant (RA) and others from the residence. Later when I called back to see how he was doing, he was ready for bed. When I asked him if he did anything special tonight, he said, "No." I asked him if he went anywhere tonight, and again he said, "No." I prompted further, and asked him if he went in the bus to a fun place, and he said, "No." Finally I asked him if he went to the arcade to play games this evening, and again he said, "No, I didn't go anywhere." At this point he had not yet been home an hour.

I spoke with his RA, and Grayson indeed did go to the arcade. He was well behaved, and he played several games. He took his winning tickets to the front, and chose to get a ball and a finger puppet with them. This particular RA who had been off all weekend, said that the last three outings he has been on with her, Grayson "has been an absolute angel". Behavior improvements are good!

Another item of particular interest and good news was dinner preparation the other night. Grayson chose to make macaroni and cheese. He removed the box from the shelf, read the directions, then went to the fridge and pulled out milk and butter. This is huge, because the written instructions don't tell you to go to the fridge and get the milk carton and a stick of butter. The instructions just tell you how much to use. He was able on his own to make the leap, fill in the "obvious" and prepare the meal. I know that he wasn't making béarnaise sauce, but given his condition, the ability to prepare food is a necessary life skill.

I think that Grayson's speech difficulty is starting to discourage him. I haven't seen too much of this so far, but I am starting to see him get frustrated with his inability to communicate what is on his mind, and after several attempts, he just gives up.

Joys and concerns – we have our fill of each. We rejoice with every improvement, and refuse to be discouraged by challenges. Fortunately we have someone special to watch over each of us every day.

Pax!

Brant

2 comments:

  1. Speaking from my own experience... it's the little things that you never knew were so integrated into your daily life, that were so entwined into your life that they never even made it to the "taken for granted" level of awareness, whose degradation is the most subtly, and continually, demoralizing.

    But, my neurologist constantly reminds me: with all issues neurological, you just never know, so it's not yet time to say "never again."

    Small comfort. But "small" is bigger than "none," especially where comfort is concerned.

    Hang in there! Grayson's story is actually helping me--if Grayson can make it, so can I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last paragraph says it all. . . and says it so well.

    ReplyDelete