21 April 2010

Day 157 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends

Grayson was most helpful and productive this evening. After his 30 minute rest time after he returned home from the clinic, he folded his laundry (he did it last night and it was in the dryer), then helped prepare dinner. He made the salad on his own, then helped his residential assistant (RA) prepare Sloppy Joes. He required just a small amount of cueing to rinse his plates and put them in the dishwasher.

He spent the usual 30-45 minutes on his therapeutic home program (THP). Tonight there were several series of questions. The first was "causes" (There are no clean socks – why?). The next was "consequences" (You handled food with dirty hands – what could happen?). Then he was read a paragraph and needed to answer questions on the subject. Finally there was orientation questions (what is the address, what is the date, what is the phone number, etc.)

After this, it was karaoke night in the rec center. Grayson went there with several other residents and stayed for about 90 minutes. When I called he was getting ready for bed (it was 8:30) and he was more than ready to crash, as he still needs around 10 hours sleep each night. As an information point, brain injury patients seem to require a tremendous amount of sleep compared to their pre-injury lives.

Grayson "lost" a roommate this week – lost in that the roommate was moved to a more independent living situation. There are four levels of care here depending on the supervision levels required, and the capability of the individual. Grayson is still in the highest level of care due to several factors including orientation, risk of injury, cognitive awareness and elopement risk (due to poor orientation and impulsiveness). For now, there is an empty bedroom in Grayson's unit.

I know I've said this a million times: Progress is slow in the recovery from brain injury, but we continue to see progress.

Pax!

Brant

3 comments:

  1. It is most heartening to know there is forward movement. Healing takes time, and you've been illustrating the patience required to see it through. We're all cheering for you as you move from level to level...soon Grayson will progress to levels of greater independence and what rejoicing there will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brant and Regina:

    Seeing another "move on" was a real motivator for me when I went through my months of therapy. When a particular person who had a similar illness to mine finally walked, and then progressed to the point to being discharged, it gave me hope that I, too, could so the same thing. It really made me work all the harder, until....I too was "out-a-there"!!!!! ...only to find that I had just stepped up to the next platue; one that had a lot MORE work and required independant work with out others always there to "give me a push". ....and that was a great time of getting oriented, minding my own progress, and being hard on myself to stay with it. I'm praying that Grayson will see others "move on", and that he will also, in the Lord's time.

    In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. The need for sleep will probably continue for many years. My cousin still requires much more sleep than she did prior to her injury. The other day we were buying concert tickets online and she was texting me with issues she was having. I finally had her call me and talked her through it. After it was done, she said having me there (on the phone) to keep her calm and focused was good and then she took a nap. In the middle of the day.

    But I'm so happy to have her here and so proud of all she has accomplished in her recovery. I know you feel the same about Grayson.

    ReplyDelete