06 February 2011

Day 448 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

On Friday, Grayson danced with me at my brother's birthday party, asked my sister Rita to dance and then did the twist with cousin Kimberly. He stayed engaged for three hours and was able to handle a lively Elks Club banquet hall with about 50 guests talking, eating, laughing, and dancing - all the while with an amplified singer. This was amazing.

On Saturday, as I was walking down the stairs, I overheard a conversation between Grayson and Brant. Not just Brant asking questions or a running one sided conversation, but both of their voices coming from the kitchen. What a wonderful sound.

Today, during our church service, Grayson joined me in singing (with encouragement), "Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world, have mercy on us". Not just a word but all three repetitions.

He communicated to me when he was hungry, when he needed to use the restroom, and when he wanted to watch TV. Granted he started by either pointing to his mouth (or the TV) or by walking out of the room to the restroom. When I asked him to use his words he was able to verbally communicate his desires.

Day by day, the inches add up.

With thanks to God, I lift up these simple joys.

Grace and peace to each of you,

Regina

1 comment: