23 February 2011

Day 465 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

This morning was filled with our routine. Each day begins something like this. I start by checking and answering office emails and voice messages then get myself ready for the day. I wake Grayson and guide him through his morning routine - breakfast, medication, shower and shave, dressing, and lunch preparation followed by transportation to therapies.

Today, after I dropped Grayson at the clinic, I rushed back to my office to try and squeeze 8 hours of work into 4 hours. I was so focused on getting back to the clinic in time to pick him up that I completely forgot today was one of the two days he had a ride home this week. Not a critical error but it cost about an hour and a half of productive time at the office.

When we returned home tonight, Grayson surprised me. We walked into the kitchen and deposited my purse, briefcase, and Grayson's lunch box on the kitchen counter. After a stop in the restroom (it was an hour drive home) we returned to the kitchen. As I was opening the mail, Grayson walked over to the counter, unzipped his lunchbox, put the dirty Tupperware container in the sink and the reusable ice block into the freezer. All without any reminder, request or coaching. This was a first.

Some days I have to look for something to be hopeful about – today it was a gift just handed to me.

I am filled with gratitude for that simple gift (and that Brant comes home tomorrow after three work weeks in three states).

Regina

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminds me of how much I take for granted. The joy you express in the midst of discouraging days is a light.

    I'm glad Brant will be back home for awhile.

    ReplyDelete