26 June 2012

Day 954 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends,

Today is Grayson's 27th birthday. It was filled with doctor's appointments, multiple heart tests, medication adjustments, and unexpectedly long waits at USC Medical Center. One of the tests is an external heart monitor that he will wear for 24 hours to detect a particular heart beat irregularity that doesn't show on his internal monitor. I can only hope that the leads and device stay on him throughout the night with as restless as he usually is.

The time at the medical center was so much longer than I had planned, that by the time we finished it was after three o'clock and Grayson finally got some lunch. We then made a special trip to a toy store to allow Grayson to select a couple of items, then a quick visit with my dad and headed home. Brant called from Arizona and spoke with Grayson on the phone.

Austin and Xixi surprised Grayson this evening and spent a couple of hours with him. They shared his newly acquired stuffed seal (he picked it out), a new jigsaw puzzle and a new card game that encourages word comparisons and categorizing (I picked that one). It warmed my heart that they wanted to make sure Grayson's birthday was special.
 
Throughout the day, I kept asking Grayson how old he was. The answers ranged from 20 to 26 early in the day. By this evening he answered 27. We'll see what he says tomorrow.

I didn't get the work done that I had planned this afternoon. Juggling is frustrating and our caregiver has been off for two days (death in her family also). The most important priority was that Grayson was well cared for and that he felt loved.

I am so thankful to God for 27 wonderful years with Grayson. Each day is a gift that I treasure.

God's peace to each of you,

Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment