03 July 2012

Day 961 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends
Today was another busy day – hard to believe that tomorrow is a holiday! I can only assume that the rest of my office is planning to take Thursday and Friday off and is piling it on the two remaining days this week!

Today I learned a lesson that I should have learned several times in my life, but it never quite sticks. The topic is communication. Communication is not achieved by broadcast alone. Communication is generally characterized by both the transmission and reception of data, but that is still incomplete. True communication is the transmission, reception and understanding by both parties of what was intended. Many things can interrupt this – language, culture, personal experiences – the list can go on forever.
Today I told Grayson’s caregiver to allow his feet to air out while he is in the house and to let him wear sandals. She heard me, but missed the “in the house” detail. I didn’t test for complete understanding. As a result she took him on two long walks and played catch outside with Grayson wearing nothing but sandals. After she left at the end of the day, I took Grayson with me to drop off a package at FedEx before going to physical therapy for my knee. He was walking very slowly behind me – even slow for Grayson. I started to get frustrated then noticed that he had a slight limp. I checked and sure enough, he had a huge blister on his left heel. He didn’t complain but just pushed through it. I felt awful. He is not really capable of speaking up for himself even if something he is being asked to do is hurting him.

When we got to the PT office, we performed some first aid to protect the injury and start the healing. They love him there and as I do my exercises, they give him things to do also. I am grateful that he can accompany me to these sessions that are about 90 minutes twice a week – when I’m in town!
Today it hit me in the face that Grayson will need a lifelong guardian angel to keep him safe. I pray that we can find that angel for him.

Pax!

Brant

1 comment:

  1. Philippians 4:19..... And my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete