16 July 2012

Day 974 – Grayson’s Journey

Dear family and friends,

If I stay attentive to Grayson throughout the day, there is always something that either surprises or delights me.

A couple of days ago Brant, Grayson and I were having dinner in our kitchen. Grayson loves bread and will always eat it first if there is any served with his meal. Grayson polished off his piece of toasted bread, reached across and took my half-eaten slice off my plate. While I certainly don't need the bread, letting him get away with the theft was not a good teaching option. I took it back and told him it was unacceptable to take food off someone else's plate. As his eyes pleaded for more, I asked him if he had something he wanted to ask me. I expected the usual gesture such as pointing to his mouth or giving a one word answer of "food" or "bread". You can imagine my shock when he responded, without any hesitation, "May I have a piece of bread like yours?"

A responsive eight word answer is an absolute first – and it was understandable!

It still makes me smile just to think about that sentence. Of course, he received another slice of bread, a huge hug, and lots of praise.

These are moments (rare as they may be) that keep me going.

Rest peacefully, my friends.

Regina

 

1 comment:

  1. It just makes me wonder what great surprise will be next. It certainly inspires hope to hear these flashes of longer sentences, etc.

    ReplyDelete