26 July 2012

Day 984 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends,

Some days just remind me of the 1989 Ron Howard movie with Steve Martin – "Parenthood"; particularly the scene where the grandmother describes her love of the roller coaster. (It makes more sense if you see the movie).

Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story. [Said quite sarcastically]
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.
Today was like that. I started my day around 5:45, unloading the dishwasher, taking the trash out, and doing several loads of laundry. By 7:30 I was handling several work phone calls and emails, tending to urgencies that needed immediate attention. I decided to work from home since I hadn't even showered by the time Grayson's caregiver arrived. That turned out to be a good decision.

By 10:30, I heard a shout from downstairs that there was water pouring from the family room ceiling. After doing the usual of turning off water valves, positioning buckets and rags, soaking up the water from the carpeting, positioning drying fans and calling for repair service, I settled back to concentrate on work.

Three hours later, I found the kitchen swarming with ants.

An hour later, Brant called to tell me that my father was at the doctor's office for various tests for his heart condition and would return for more tests tomorrow.

The agency notified me that our caregiver needs to take off three days for a medical procedure.

Brant is due to arrive in town about 6:00 a.m. on Saturday morning and turn around and leave again on Monday morning for a week in Seattle.

Life takes everything you've got. Some days you just have to hold on tight and enjoy the ride.

It really helps to keep a good sense of humour.

Keep smiling,

Regina

1 comment: