14 December 2010

Day 394 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends

Tonight was not unlike many other nights. Grayson arrived home from the clinic. We did some chores together, played some games and waited for Regina to arrive with a) Lauren and b) groceries. We had a great dinner experiment (chicken with kalamata olives, marinated artichokes and tomatoes) made up as we went along. (It was a success!)

After watching an old Christmas movie (Jack Frost), I gave Grayson his meds – in applesauce as always. After we finished, he stood up. I asked him where he was going. He said, "To hug you." He put his arms around me and said, "I love you Dad."

I was touched to tears.

Then I completely lost all control. Waves of emotion rolled over me like an ocean as I relived the grief of the loss of my son's capacity to live independently, to read voraciously, to speak so eloquently, to be so informed, all while being so caring. I was consumed for a long time before letting go. Then we were back to normal – taking care of our loving and wonderful 25 year-old man-child.

We helped him brush his teeth and get ready for bed before tucking him in for the night.

Pax!

Brant

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brant and Regina:

    That was a moment for glorios JOY and a gift from the Lord! ...a high point of great meaning. It burns in my heart; thank you for sharing it with us.

    In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy and grief walking hand in hand. . . with the grace of Jesus washing over you each step of the way. Hold on.

    ReplyDelete