19 May 2011

Day 550 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends,

This morning I let Grayson sleep in a couple of extra hours – probably not a bad idea since he didn't fall asleep until about midnight. When I finally went in to get him up he was wide awake and smiling at me. I engaged him with my usual morning patter but this morning was different. Instead of my having to swing his legs over the edge of the bed to get him to sit up, he stood up entirely by himself with just verbal direction.

The rest of the day followed suit. He was bright-eyed and cooperative and he walked at a faster pace. This evening, when I walked down the hall to my bedroom, he initiated and completed a restroom sequence completely on his own. I stayed around the corner out of sight and merely observed – then, of course, followed with appropriate praise.

He has already gotten up from bed twice in the last 15 minutes. I suspect that on days with greater alertness it is harder for him to wind down.

We spent the day laughing, talking, walking, carrying, sorting, choosing, washing, and of course, hugging. Who could ask for anything more?

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Regina

P.S. – Happy Anniversary to my sister, Rita and her wonderful husband, Richard.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to read of the small steps in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete