26 May 2011

Day 557 – Grayson’s Journey


Dear family and friends,

I must admit Grayson did not get much attention today.  It was the kind of day that made it hard to give him the full attention he deserves.

Here are a few of the distractions. I was trying to give as much attention to my job as possible during business hours.  Early this morning I met with my brother, also our contractor, about needed home repairs as well as the condition of my sweet sister-in-law who is battling colon cancer.  Later in the afternoon I moved all of Lauren’s things out of her bedroom so we could remove carpet, scrape the acoustic (cottage cheese) ceiling, re-plaster and paint.  (Oh, and she is out of town for a couple of weeks, hence is not available to assist.) I had dental and other appointments and was chasing down electric circuit problems that suddenly appeared.

Grayson is content to watch all the activity around him and is easily occupied with either books or television. I confess I used these to keep him safe and happy.  We realize life is a balancing act and by definition that means that the balancing is not static but sways back and forth with constant correcting effort. Today the balance swayed away from Grayson.

When we were able to give Grayson our full attention this evening, we were both struck by just how endorphins affect him.  We were laughing and being silly about something during dinner and his giggles completely took over his body.  His face stretched into an uncontrollable grin, he ducked his head, doubled over and expelled an audible breath of laughing that was absolutely contagious.  What a joy that, among his many compromised functions, his funny bone is still so much intact.
Make a joyful noise,

Regina

1 comment:

  1. You said he was 'safe and happy' and that sounds great to me. . . even if you had to focus on other things.

    ReplyDelete