09 December 2009

Day 24 – Grayson’s Condition

Dear family and friends

Today was a full day.

Early this afternoon, Grayson was moved out of the ICU to the Pulmonary Unit here at the hospital. He will stay here until we are sure that he can stay off the vent. At that point, we may move to the Neurology Unit. Tonight, he went back on the vent for a few hours, so the move to Neurology may be postponed or cancelled. If the move is cancelled, he will be discharged from here.

We learned a lot today, and wish that we had understood much of this earlier. Today we made up for lost time! The hospital is also known as a short term acute care facility. Patients are moved along quickly to home, or, in the event acute care is still required, to a long term acute care facility. This is a facility that has many of the trappings of a hospital, but does not handle emergency patients or major surgery. We will spend the next several days visiting these facilities to determine the proper one of these for Grayson. The main thing for him is that acute care is available, and that his physical therapy can continue. Our expectation is that he will discharged early next week. We will certainly miss the location (1.8 miles from our house), but staying here is not an option.

Grayson's condition remains the same. Medically, his youth and strength are serving him well, and he is stable and rapidly recovering. The brain injury is our next focus. Perhaps his youth will serve him well there also.

Thank you all for your positive comments on this blog. I am surprised how many of you are checking it daily, but your love of Grayson has become obvious to me. Thank you for your continued prayers, supporting and loving words, and those ever-so-welcome hugs (whenever we come out of hiding!) I know that God has a plan for us. I just wish we could find out sooner!

Pax!

Brant and Regina

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Brant and Regina,
    I have been receiving your posts from Sue and they are the first thing I look for in the morning and the last thing at night. I am with you in prayer all the day long and sometimes in the middle of the night as well. Other friends and my family are praying as well and asking me often how Grayson is doing.
    Sending you the peace which passes understanding. Love, Suzie Henderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brant and Regina,

    I can´t wait for newer and newer posts to come about Grayson´s recovery as I constantly look for better and better news. I am glad to hear that he is stable. I wish him nothing but the best.

    I am currently out of the country, but whenever you are physically and emotionally ready to receive visitors, I´d love to pay Grayson a visit. Take all the time you need though!

    Much love,

    Meirav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I was in the grade above Grayson at Prep, and I want you to know that I and several of my 2003 classmates are reading this blog, as is my dear friend Vince Mateus from Prep '01. Vince and I were at USC along with Grayson, and I have this fond memory of seeing him at a house party wearing what looked like an Indiana Jones hat. He was surrounded by people who obviously adored him. He's thought about by a great many of us. - Emily Baines

    ReplyDelete