18 December 2009

Day 32 – Grayson’s Condition

Dear family and friends

Today was a hard day, but a good day.

Today was a hard day because of the adjustment to a new environment. The staff has to learn to understand Grayson and his needs, and we need to adjust to their routines, procedures and personalities. Grayson looks pretty docile sleeping in the bed, and that can be deceiving. When awake, he is a handful, and this staff didn't have the previous shift to bring them up to speed on what to expect. He was moved twice today to bring him closer to the nurses' station (yes he is in his 3rd room since arriving there late yesterday!) They now know that a sitter needs to be 1-on-1 and can't also be assigned to watch and tend to 2 other people at the same time. The sitters on duty today learned what to do, and what not to do. So, as I said, it is an adjustment all around. That adjustment is hard, but necessary. Regina spent 14 hours there today working with Grayson and the staff. Grayson (and I) are lucky to have her strength, stamina and determination to get him through this to be all that he can be.

Today was a good day because Grayson is showing a few signs of improvement during his periods of clarity. I must caution that these are little signs, but he continues to gain strength, he is able to track voices and look around slowly. Some capability looks like it is returning, and that is indeed good, no matter how small.

Blessings to all of you as you finish the hustle and bustle and excitement of preparing for the Feast of the Nativity. This year we have a deeper appreciation for Christmas than ever before.

Pax!

Brant and Regina

3 comments:

  1. If a time arrives when you might like a little help, an afternoon or night knowing you have guardians at the gate, just let us know. I remember the challenges of Bob in hospital (and he was not 24 and full of enthusiasm - he was 84 and kinda grumpy - and challenged so very many) please just send a note. We'll be there in a heartbeat. Really. I have more hospital experience than you might think, and I so revere the good nurse and/or doctor. I've met both kinds while helping with my aunt and dad. It's a challenge all the way, but knowing you both just a bit, you will win any staff over to your side. Please, if we can be of any help, just whistle . . . you do know how to whistle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brant and Regina--I just want to encourage you today. I loved what you said about Regina, Brant. What a wonderful gift she is. She reminds me of Kemi as she was with me all the way, every day, in every way. She made sure the docs kept an interest in me, and that the staff were on their toes, and she loved me even when I was a bag of bones. And Grayson is in our prayers and in the prayers of hundereds of others, and He is in the Lord's hands, and that is the best place to be.

    In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Reed Family,

    I returned to the country recently and just found out about Grayson today. I can't begin to find the words to express how sorry I am for Grayson and for your family, but at the same time, I cannot think of a stronger, more loving, more tight-knit family to handle such a situation than you guys. Grayson is so lucky to have parents like you, Brant and Regina. Your love and your faith will take you so far and give you so much strength. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help in any way.

    All my thoughts and love,
    Nikki Baida
    n_baida@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete