20 December 2009

Day 34 – Grayson’s Condition

Dear family and friends

Today was another good day with some challenges.

The goodness is that Grayson continues to gain capability and strength. We are getting little glimpses that give us hope. Today he reached out and tenderly touched my face, and the faces of his brother and sister. It was such a moment of peace in the storm of all of the churning. He also sat in a chair for 25 minutes during physical therapy. Additionally, he raised his arms above his head several times on command today. Clearly he has moments where he is able to understand basic commands and can execute some that require the use of some basic motor skills. As I said earlier, this gives us some cause for cautious hope.

That strength thing is great, and difficult. This is now the source of the challenges. The staff needs to gain an understanding of how to manage Grayson as he becomes stronger, and has more ability to control his actions. I received a call just before midnight that there were 4 people in his room trying to keep him under control. Clearly we will need to work with the facility managers to teach the people entrusted with his care in the ways to handle him. If I can do it, I know it can be done!

Today Regina wrote, "I give him to God every day – and God is giving him back a tiny piece at a time." I couldn't have made a more astute observation. I give thanks for the gifts that He continues to bestow upon us.

Pax!

Brant and Regina

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grant and Regina,
    I can't agree more with what Regin said about giving thanks to God and Him giving Grayson back a tiny piece at a time. It really sounds like that is what is happening. I would like you to know that I have a lot of experience sitting with people in hospitals and long term acute care facilities, and if you need any help, even someone who cares for him just to sit with him and read to him a while, I am more than willing. I care for your son, and hope than I can be of help if you need it, even if you do not want me to sit with him. Please know you can reach me at any time at (818) 441-6864. But I am so glad to hear that he is doing better and look forward to your updaate every day.
    My prayer and thoughts are with you,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brant and Regina:

    I was humbled with joy when you discribed his gentle touch to the faces of the family. And your insite into how our Heavenly Father is able to restore what the "worm has devoured"...yes, a tiny piece at a time, but eventually into a "new" whole. He knows the end from the begining and is wise beyond measure. And when we think that He has blessed us beyond all measure", He just keeps it up, and we find ourselves awash in His love and grace, and we are recharged for the next season. We are praying hard for you, with purpose, and are so blessed when we hear about even the smallest of events. I'll bet that "wrestle-down" with the sitters was something to behold. It put a smile on my face! Naughty me.

    In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete