19 December 2009

Day 33 – Grayson’s Condition

Dear family and friends

Today was a good day, with some challenges.

Grayson had some more periods of clarity today. During those periods of clarity for Regina, he was looking around the room and focusing, he raised both arms on command twice. For me he imitated me raising my eyebrows, and then repeated it twice when I asked him to. The coup de grace was when Regina said, "Smile if you want me to read to you." Then he did! She read to him for several minutes before his attention span wore out, and he became restless. He churned on for a few hours before falling asleep.

Grayson continues to gain muscle strength. This is both good and bad news. The good news is that his strength will do wonders for him if he gets into a rehab program. In the meantime, he is a handful to manage. Most of the nursing staff is quite petite, and they are a little bit afraid of him because of his age, size and strength. Fortunately, we have learned how to manage him, and the staff is learning also. This is part of the adjustment period that will take a week or so to run through.

Regina and I are encouraged by Grayson's progress in the last week, but still understand that he has a long, long way to go to become all he can be after a trauma of this nature. We trust in God's plan. That's all we can do.

Pax!

Brant and Regina

3 comments:

  1. I am praying for Grayson and all of you during this difficult time. I just learned of your blog, and will keep following it to hear how things are going. I love you all.

    Janet K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brant and Reina:

    As you noted, the added muscule power will do wonders for him in rehab...that is so much better than being limp,,,way better!!!! The PT folks will adjust to him, and will do a great job, I'm sure. I love to read your updates--the reality of them give us targets to pray at!

    In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brant and Regina,

    Your posts keep us, your friends and family, in the game and by your side, thinking and hoping daily for bits of positive change and signs of better days ahead. Your strength is amazing and your attitude a model for us all. As I noted to you previously (in an email), this road is long and the days are never predictable, but with work and patience they will get better. The brain is an amazing machine and is capable of rewiring many and sometimes all functions. I am hoping that Grayson is on this path. He is obviously a fine young man. Hang in there and let us know if we can help.

    Travis

    ReplyDelete